I am not much of a book reader, but I like to read the business books when I travel or am in the car. I was in the middle of buying some books on Amazon.com when it occurred to me that I would save money by buying a Kindle eBook reader ($299) instead, and then buying eBook versions of those same books. Kindle books are 30%-40% off the usual prices.
Before I made the purchase, I read some reviews of the Kindle, and most people said after a few weeks they got used to reading books on a screen instead of paper. I have been using the Kindle for a month, and after only a few days I got used to using it, but I am not sure I like it as much as reading real books. That being said, overall I am very glad I bought it and highly recommend it to anyone who reads books away from home. Here’s what I like about the Kindle:
1. Instead of having to lug a bunch of books around with me, I always have a virtually unlimited supply of books at my disposal.
2. It is not like reading on a PC, where you have to scroll down. The Kindle has a Next Page button and Previous Page button, so it turns the pages like a real book.
3. When I turn it on, it automatically opens to the last page I was reading, so I never lose my place.
4. I don’t have to deal with giving away or selling the old books after I am done with them.
5. Unlike a computer, it boots up almost instantly, like a cell phone/Blackberry does.
6. I subscribe to magazines and newspapers on the Kindle, so I don’t have to carry those around with me either.
7. I subscribe to several blogs (like techcrunch.com) on the Kindle.
8. I was reading a blog on my Kindle and it mentioned a book that I thought sounded interesting, so I clicked on the link and it took me to the Amazon reviews for that book and I then bought the book with one click and instantly downloaded it to my Kindle.
9. The Kindle has no monthly fees and includes free wireless service. The wireless has great reception, but even if you live in an area with no reception it does not matter much because you don’t really need to use the wireless part.
10. When I buy a new book, it downloads in seconds. It is not like a PC, where things sometimes take forever to download.
11. Because I use the Kindle to read business books, it is a tax deduction, so that helps defray some of the cost.
12. The Kindle helps save the environment, which makes me feel good about using it.