Impulse Communications, Inc. is an Internet company founded in 1995 that owns over 300 websites such as CheapFlowers.com, Dumb.com, and Adoptme.com. Buying and selling domains names is also a large part of its business, at one point owning over 9,000 of them.
Owner Profile – Eric Borgos
Eric graduated with a finance degree from Babson College in 1991 and ran several different businesses until he found his calling on the Internet in 1995. Since that time, Eric’s websites have been featured in publications such as the Wall Street Journal, Entrepreneur Magazine, Readers Digest, USA Today, Popular Science, and Inc. Magazine, talked about on radio stations such as National Public Radio (NPR), and mentioned on TV shows such as Extra and TechTV.
Some interesting facts about Eric are:
- Never met any of the people who work for him.
- Invented a toy and got it sold in Toys “R” Us.
- Bought 2 retail flower stores thousands of miles away without visiting them first or knowing anything about the flower business (or even about how to run a store).
- Opened an office, but never once went to it.
- Tried to go public on the stock exchange, through a reverse merger.
- Never had a business plan.
- Bought and sold hundreds of websites, all without ever meeting the people he was dealing with.
- In 2008, sold his Bored.com network of websites for $4.5 million.
- In 2011, sold a portfolio of 4000 of his domains for $1.3 million.
- In 2013, sold a portfolio of 4600 of his domains (a non-disclosure agreement prevents the price from being listed).
More recently, he has focused on creating sites that feature leading-edge technologies, including predicting stock prices using a neural network, ranking celebrities based on their popularity on social media sites, the use of facial recognition to find people that look like you, automated speech transcription, and using a neural network to guess your age from a photo.
Company Contact Info
Impulse Communications, Inc.
14525 SW Millikan #56742
Beaverton, OREGON 97005-2343
If you need to send something using any method other than the Post Office (like Fedex or UPS), use this address:
9450 SW Gemini Dr. #56742
Beaverton, OR 97008
Please email us instead of calling. We do not respond by phone. If you can’t email us, call us and leave your email address in your phone message, and we will email back to you.
In 1990, Impulse Communications, Inc. was formed as a sole proprietorship and changed to a Nevada corporation in 2000. In 2008, Impulse Communications, Inc was sold and reorganized as a Delaware company under the same name. The company makes money from makes money from ad income, e-commerce, and domain name sales.
Here are some significant events in its history:
- Impulse Communications was originally formed to provide computer consulting services such as installations of business automation software, computerized accounting systems, contact management software and point of sale systems.
- From 1995-1997, with the increasing acceptance of the Internet, its focus shifted to designing and hosting websites, while at the same time developing several websites of its own (such as Bored.com, inventing.com, cashflow.com, and findcash.com).
- In that same time period, it also purchased dozens of domain names from Network Solutions, a company that registers domain names on the Internet.
- Starting in 1998, Impulse Communications has focused exclusively on developing new websites using the domain names it already owns and continues to purchase new domain names for future development.
- In January 2008, Impulse Communications sold Bored.com and 170 related sites for $4.5 million.
- In May 2011, Impulse Communications sold a package of 4000 domain names for $1.3 million.
- In 2013, Impulse Communications sold the vast majority of its 5000 unused domains.
Revenue by Market Segment
The approximate percentage of revenue by product segment is as follows:
E-commerce Sales: 70% (from sites such as CheapFlowers.com)
Advertising Income: 10% (banner ads on Dumb.com and other sites)
Sales of Company Owned Domains: 10%
Investment Income: 10%
Impulse Communications, Inc. Financials
Net income: -$59,489
Net income: $-8,065
Net income: $1,351,652 (mainly from selling a portfolio of 4600 of my domains)
Net income: $138,462
Net income: $1,544,782 (mainly from selling a portfolio of 4000 of my domains)
Net income: $285,086
Net income: $186,197
Net income: $106,547
Net income: $91,179
Net income: $-118,553
Net income: $-5,899
Net income: $199,013
Net income: $-200,542
Net income: $-7,183
Net income: $-30,478
Net income: $438,496
Net income: $397,204
Net income: $120,704
Net income: $19,174