Viral Videos – Part 2
In a previous posting, I talked about my attempt at launching a viral video. It was a modest success, but did not make me any money or bring any extra traffic to my site. So, I decided to create a few more music videos in the hopes that one of them would catch on:
- Hip-Hop Hanukkah – This was my follow up to Pimp My Sleigh.
- The TurboTax Rap – TurboTax software held a contest for people to make a music video about using Turbotax to do your income taxes (I have been a TurboTax user for many years), and this was my entry. I didn’t win, but a lot of people saw the video on the TurboTax website and on Youtube.
- In The Valley – Internet themed songs tend to go viral easily, so this was my attempt.
- Party On Your Birthday – Birthdays are such a big market, I figured there must be room for more than just the traditional “Happy Birthday To You” song, especially a more modern version.
These videos got some good reviews, but none of them reached the tipping point and went viral. Based on those results, I have pretty much given up on the viral video dream, but more recently I tried a new tactic, where instead of making videos for the masses, I made some specifically for a few of my websites, in the hopes the videos would get some extra traffic to those sites:
- CheapFlowers.com Theme Song – I did this song as a demo, hoping I would have somebody else record a real version, but I never got around to getting that done, so eventually I just added it to my CheapFlowers.com website.
- The Water Tower Rap – I think I created the first song ever written about water towers, and certainly the first rap about them. I knew nothing about water towers until I bought the WaterTowers.com domain for $2000 a few years ago.
- I’m A Pig and I’m A Horse – These are kids songs that I created for my site at iAnimals.com.
Over the years, I have also added to my sites animated songs written and sung by another musician (I paid him for it):
- AdoptMe Music Videos -Songs performed by the virtual pets that you can adopt at AdoptMe.com.
- Michael & Bubbles – An animated musical adventure about a superhero pop star and his sidekick monkey Bubbles.
- Rapping Babies – For my CyberInfants.com site where you can adopt a virtual baby.
- Salt & Pepper – An animated musical adventure about a rapping dog and cat.
So far neither the songs I created myself, nor the ones I paid someone else to write and perform, have brought any extra visitors to my sites. They are very fun projects to work on, but from a business standpoint they have been a waste of time and money.